You search feverishly online using every possible resource you can to find your ideal job. You apply but never hear back. You are kind of relieved anyway because it didn’t seem like a good fit in the first place.
According to CBN.com, 75% of job openings — often some of the best and highest paying jobs are not advertised on the internet or in the newspaper.
Here are 5 ways to tap into the hidden job market to find your perfect match:
- Research companies that interest you. Narrow down your top 10. Look directly on their website at their internal job board for positions/internships that you qualify for. Many companies post positions on their internal board only.
- Before you start making contact it is crucial that you are prepared to present yourself in an appealing way. Some call it an “elevator speech” or “30 second commercial”. I call it your “30 second what I can do for your company pitch”. Any time you are speaking with someone of influence, a potential connection, or decision maker, you need to introduce yourself as an asset and speak to your relevant skill sets, experience and education. You’ve researched the company and their job descriptions so infuse that information into your pitch. Avoid talking about your career objectives. Tell them what you bring to the table and how it can help the company and why you want to work for them.
- If your LinkedIn profile is established, connect with relevant people at the companies you’ve targeted. Showcase your initiative and reach out directly to managers at these companies. You can usually find their contact information on the company website. If you cannot find out this information online, call the company directly and ask the receptionist for the name and email address of the hiring manager.
- Once you’ve made contact, ask if you may arrange an informational interview. Even if they do not have a position open at the time, you probably will be on the list of prospects when one is.
- Be sure that your resume is updated and customized to each of the positions you target. Bring it, plus several copies with you to every in person meeting, and have a copy in front of you during every phone call. You never know when an initial reach out may turn in to a phone interview on the spot. Always be prepared.
Your perfect match awaits you. You deserve a happy career. Now go out and find it!
Subscribe to my weekly ezine for more free resources that can help you achieve career bliss at Career Coach Sally.